Butterfly Summer by Anne Marie Conway Review

October 9, 2012


Butterfly Summer

Some secrets last a lifetime. When Becky and her mum move to the tiny village of Oakbridge, Mum is hoping for a new beginning. But when Becky discovers an old photo of her mum in hospital clutching a baby, twelve years before Becky was born, Becky becomes haunted by the thought that her mum is keeping something from her. Stifled by her mum's over-protectiveness and depressive moods, Becky feels more alone than ever. The only place she finds comfort is at the beautiful local Butterfly Garden with her new friend, the wild-spirited and impulsive Rosa May. But Becky can't shake off the unanswered questions. Why can't she swim? Where is her dad? Who is the baby in the photo? And why is her mum lying to her? As the two girls spend more time together however, Rosa May's unpredictable temper and possessive streak suggests that she is hiding something as well...and in the heat of the sun-drenched summer, it seems that Becky is the only one in the dark......
I absolutely loved this book, I finished it the day I got it because it was so fab. It had me hooked from the start and it didn't take five chapters for it to get interesting. The storyline was really interesting and captivating filled with mystery, intrigue and dark secrets.
You ended up admiring some of the characters and trying to solve the mystery yourself. You always wanted to know what was going to happen next. In some aspects it was a bit predictable but that didn't stop me from enjoying Butterfly Summer. 
It's a nice short read, well 25 chapters actually. But it took me a day because quite frankly I couldn't put it down. It was the only book where I couldn't contain the emotion held inside me. I cried and cried because it was so sad but had a kind of sweet ending. 
I think the butterfly theme was perfectly incorporated with the plot. As I said I really liked the ending, it was suspenseful but ended the story well.
I really liked local boy Mack and all of the characters in the book. They were well described too.
You'd be crazy not to read this book because It is so so amazing. It's one that I can honestly say I'd like to read again... Just have tissues near by. It is one of my favourites and I knew from the moment I saw the pretty cover and read the blurb that this was gonna be an awesome read. I have messaged the author, Anne-Marie Conway, and hopefully you can stay tuned for an author interview. 5 stars, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Butterfly Summer.
My Rating: 5/5

Post a Comment

Thank for stopping by my small corner of the web, I hope you enjoyed your time here. Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them. Sending you a thousand lovely days x

© A Sunny Spot. Design by FCD. Header using graphics from Freepik.